Monday, April 2, 2012

PUT ON YOUR EASTER BONNET!


Do ladies and little girls still wear Easter Bonnets?



I was a little girl in the 1960's and although we did not go to church every Sunday my Great Grandmother, who was a founding member of her church, did. She never pushed anyone to go with her but she did insist that all attend the Easter Service. I remember her the week before Easter bringing us our Easter Bonnets.


They were usually very similar to this one. Always white with a coloured ribbon and flowers. I loved them. You just did not attend Easter Service without a hat. Everyone wore them and tiny white gloves too. If we were lucky we would also get a little Easter purse.




My Great Grandmother was born at the end of the 19th. century so she grew up knowing that a lady never left the house without a hat, gloves and matching handbag and shoes. She did that her whole life but Easter was very special. Her hats really were flamboyant then. Very much like these, as a matter a fact they look very familiar. Always lots of flowers and colour, sometimes just a small one but many time quite large.



And what about paper Easter Bonnets do you remember those. We would make one at school every Easter and wear it in the School Easter Parade with pride. I wonder if they still do that.


The Queen stills wears an Easter Bonnet.




I think I will wear an Easter Bonnet this Easter. I love the floral beauties but this paper Bonnet has caught my eye.
Why not. I cannot think of a nicer way to welcome Spring and Easter than donning a Bonnet and walking with pride in the Easter Parade.


Images from PINTEREST.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how fun! I remember wearing pretty outfits for Easter with white gloves and of course, a bonnet! So beautiful...I think I"ll wear on this year too. We should declare a Bonnet Day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Easter Bonnets.I loved wearing it and frilly dresses.Don't remember gloves much but remember always having pretty shoes.So girly..smile..Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was such a tomboy that my pretty outfits didn't stay pretty very long. Once my mom found my dress hanging "neatly" in the apple tree and me just in my slip and pretty (muddy) shoes hanging from a limb about 5 feet up from my dress. LOL! Oh well. I tried. ;)

    ReplyDelete