Monday, December 10, 2012

THE CHRISTMAS PARTY!



Well, it took a little longer than I thought to get this party post up. It has been a crazy week but here we go.




I start out the evening just before everyone arrives by lighting all of the candles.




I have a lot of candles! I adore the farmhouse lit by candlelight. I am always looking for different holders like these metal pinecones I picked up for a couple of dollars at a thrift store. I found the HO HO HO's at the grocery store years ago. They are made of wax so I am really careful with the voltives I don't want them to melt.


I make sure all of the trees are lit and the atmosphere is set.




And let the party begin!



I have a large stainless steel kitchen counter so I set up the food and the bar there. I always have an assortment of coffee, tea or other hot drinks for the end of the evening and everyone takes home a little gift. This year it was Salted Chocolate Shortbread and tradition Scottish Shortbread last year it was Reindeer Fudge which was a huge hit. I am making it again for Christmas if you want the recipe check out last Christmas's post.



For dinner I made the most delicious roast beef ( or so I am told I am a vegetarian). I have re-discovered the Crock Pot. They seem to be making a comeback. I saw this recipe on Pinterest ( love Pinterest!) and had to try it.

 You use any cut of beef and to 1/2 cup of water add 1 envelope gravy, one envelope italian dressing and one envelope ranch dressing. Pour over the top and cook for 7 to 9 hours on medium depending on how big the roast is. I added a little red wine too which made the gravy smell amazing. It will fall apart it is so tender.  I also stirred it a couple of time so the gravy was even and did not stick on the bottom.

 I served it with a root mash of potatoes, yams, and carrots. The beef was ladled on top of the mash with a side dish of cabbage lightly fried with olive oil, bacon, salt and pepper. Huge Hit and so easy.




We had a great time. Lots of laughs and some Misltetoing, I have little Misltoe signs above all the doors and this big one I bought the year we got married. It is a little chintzy but I love it.




At the end of the evening everyone left full, happy and brimming with the spirit of Christmas which is what I love. Another Christmas party done and I am already planning the menu for 2013!

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks so perfect and welcoming. I like all of the trees.
    Funnily enough, I dragged our crock pot out from the back of the cupboard last week to cook beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, the farmhouse looks so wonderful and cozy.....you really make your home welcoming and beautiful, so many great Christmas goodies.......Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sweet charm that your home refelects. The lights are low enough to give off a warmness. I can see myself sitting among your holiday goodies. The party is amazing as well as the food.


    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not put up that first decoration yet. Cleaning lady her Thursday and then I will get it all together. All of our family will be here Christmas Day. Your home looks beautiful.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete