Tuesday, January 19, 2016

VINTAGE BROOCHES...NOT JUST FOR YOUR GRAMMA!

My Great Grandmother was a fabulous woman.  She was born in a time when a lady never left the house without her shoes and bag matching, gloves and a hat and of course, jewellry, and in my Great Grandmother's case, lots of jewellry.

She was a commited church lady.  She had a vast collection of costume jewellry, it was her one indulgence.  On Sundays I remember her dressed to go to church in a simple dress, hat, bag, gloves and shoes accented with the most flamboyant and outrageous earrings, hat pins, bracelets, necklaces and brooches you could imagine.  It was incredible and it made her look just outstanding and unique.



When she passed away her daughter, my Grandmother, inherited her collection of costume jewellry.  Now, my Grandmother had an amazing style sense but unlike her mother she was much more understated.  Me on the other hand, I am like my Great Grandmother.  I just adore vintage jewellry.  Over the years my Grandmother gave me all of the pieces.  When I lost her I found much more.  Funny, being an antiques dealer she bought mostly furniture but I found boxes of vintage jewellry, mostly brooches, tucked away.  Maybe she loved it too but just never had the courage to wear it like her Mother did.






The pieces I have range from rhinestone floral brooches to enameled birds and bugs.  They go from a very tiny bluebird to really large floral baskets.  I love them.





The vintage brooch is gaining popularity very quickly in the fashion world.  From wearing one classice piece on a coat or dress to piling it on with denim or that little black dress.  I just love the red dress festooned with the enamel floral brooches.


You can use them as hair accessories too.  I think they look fantastic and no one will be wearing the same thing.  I use my larger ones on the backs of my long summer dresses.  I use them to pull the straps together it holds the dress in place and looks great.





In my research today I came across these lovely wedding bouquets.  What a unique way to use vintage brooches.  I don't think they should throw the bouquet though.

If you were not fortunate like me to have inherited some lovely vintage brooches, you can find them for a very reasonable price in a lot of places.  Ebay and Etsy are good but I go to Thrift Stores and find some really nice ones.  The Value Village here sells costume jewellry by the bag full for just $5.99 and I have found some vintage pieces in those bags.

So go and grab some nice vintage brooches and use them in whatever way you come up with.  I know it makes me feel a little special when I wear them, I remember how happy my Great Grandmother was when she was all dressed up in hers and I feel very close to her.






2 comments:

  1. Evening Sue, wow!!! So very pretty. Love the look of the old brooches.Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful little pieces of art, aren't they? Thanks for sharing these great pictures and so glad your great-grandma's brooches found a loving home with you. Deb xo

    ReplyDelete