Friday, February 17, 2017

PEACE SIGNS....THE ORIGIN!!!!


Growing up in the 70's the PEACE SIGN was a symbol of my youth.  Being a hippie it meant so much to me.  I don't think you could go anywhere without seeing one of someone giving you the "Peace Sign".

Over the past few years the PEACE SIGN has come back into vogue.  A new generation has "discovered" it.  I was interested to see where it actually came from and surprised when I found out where, this is what I found online.


The PEACE SIGN was designed in 1958 by British artist Gerald Haltom for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND)  which was having it's first major march in England.  HolTman explained that the symbol superimposed the semaphore letters "N" and "D" over each other.






I find it interesting that the PEACE SIGN was designed for Nuclear Disarmament, it's meaning has not changed much in 59 years.




The holding up of 2 fingers for Peace also has an interesting origin.

The "V" is a hand gesture in which the middle and index finger are raised and parted. During the Vietnam War the finger sign was adopted by the counterculture as a symbol of Peace.









The PEACE SIGN is now found not only as a symbol of Peace but as a fashion statement.  I make PEACE jewelry, the last 3 pieces are from my Etsy Shop, MY HIPPIE HEART JEWELRY, and you can find  infinite designers making it too.





People wear it as body art, something I will be doing in April once I have locked down a design.  I like the thought of always having peace in my heart and on my body.







From a design perspective, the PEACE SIGN is perfect.  Simple but it makes a statement and is know worldwide, like a smile it language is the same in every country. The metal Peace Sign can be found at BLUE METAL DESIGN on ETSY.

It is so well love that we now incorporate it into our decor.







I love it so much that I use this vintage Peace Sign card as the symbol of my Kimono Business MY HIPPIE HEART.  I have it on all of my labels as well as using the last photo on my website and my business cards.







Peace  symbols crops up in nature everyone and isn't that appropriate.






I added these photos after I posted.  My lovely son and beautiful grand babies made this fabulous PEACE SIGN in their backyard for their Bella ( that is me).  Isn't it lovely!



So the next time you see a PEACE SIGN, show the PEACE SIGN or wear one remember it has come from a noble cause and it is a noble symbol.

No comments:

Post a Comment